The mission of the youth ministry of Zion Baptist Church is to produce a generation of ministers – students who do not graduate from their faith when they graduate from high school but who leave this ministry equipped to continue to grow toward and serve God wherever life takes them. Our Goal is to make sure that our students are spiritually FED through opportunities for Fellowship, Evangelism and Service, and Discipleship. Above all we hope to equip students who can live out Jesus’ call to love the Lord with all their heart, soul, and mind and to love their neighbors as themselves.
For more information about the Student Ministry here at Zion contact Carson Putnam or our church office.
Week at a Glance
Sunday School – Sundays at 10 am, 3rd Floor Youth Suite
S.N.A.C (Sunday Night At Church)- Dinner: 5:30 pm in the Small Dining Room (behind the church), Youth Games, Bible Study, and Activities 6-7 pm, 3rd Floor Youth Suite
Wednesday Nights – Church Fellowship Meal: 5:15 pm in the Gym, In depth Bible Study 6 pm, 3rd Floor Youth Suite
Youth Events – Fellowship
• Lock-In – Traditionally in the fall, an opportunity for both fellowship and outreach as we take over the church for a night
• Fall Festival – a church wide event in which the Youth take the lead in planning activities for all ages of the church to enjoy
• Christmas Party – a time of Fellowship as we celebrate the end of the year and anticipate the birth of Christ
• Super Bowl Party
• Youth Softball/Basketball – an opportunity to let our competitive sides out and play against other area youth as well as an outreach opportunity to bring friends and classmates into church in a less intimidating way
• Summer Day Trips – past trips include Carowinds, the US White Water Center, Tubing, Water Park Trips, and other opportunities for fellowship and outreach close to home
Evangelism and Service
• Operation Christmas Child – a joint mission of the Youth and Church Missions departments, we partner with Samaritan’s Purse to bring both presents and the story of Christ to children across the world who’ve never experienced either
• Operation In-As-Much – a church wide mission event designed to aid those in our community. See our Missions page for more details
• Men’s Shelter Ministry/GCCBA Feeding Program – opportunities to provide meals for the homeless and hungry of Shelby
• Other Mission Projects – Construction and Ministry projects have included yard work, backyard bible clubs, handicap ramps, roofing, and more
• Sunday School – Sunday School meets at from 10:00-10:45 on Sunday mornings. Our teacher is Franklin Barbee, and we use the Explore The Bible Curriculum, which takes us book by book through the entire Bible over a 3 year cycle
• S.N.Y (Sunday Night Youth) – our main youth meeting of the week, this is a time of worship, fellowship, and discipleship as we seek to more fully understand who God is and what it means to fully follow him. The night begins with a meal at 5:30 followed by worship from 6-7.
• Wednesday Night Bible Study –Wednesday nights from 6-7 this time is dedicated to developing our ability to read and study the bible and other skills necessary for a thriving faith.
Our Youth Ministry takes part in several trips throughout the year
Jr. High Retreat – a fall retreat designed to welcome new students as well as provide opportunities for our younger students to take center stage!
Winter Retreat/Ski Trip – a long weekend getaway in January for a time of fellowship, fun, and spiritual growth.
Garden City Beach Camp – GCBC is a gathering of teenagers and leaders from all around the southeast who want to develop, strengthen and reignite their relationship with Christ. GCBC is also an opportunity for training, inspiring, encouraging, bonding, team building, and having fun!
Each summer many our youth spend a week serving others through construction, inner-city children’s ministry, and outreach. This past summer our youth served in the Knoxville Tennessee area. Every two years our youth will serve on an international mission trip.
May 20, 2020
We’re all missing each other. And there’s Something Greater that connects us all. Stay connected to ZBC Shelby Youth. Let’s make an effort to love each other through quarantine. Because Love Itself – Jesus – first loved us.