Appalachian Christmas Outreach
Share a Gift of Love and the Gospel Message with a child in need this Christmas
The Appalachian Coalfields Ministry seeks to meet physical and spiritual needs of those living in Appalachia. One of the greatest needs in this area occurs at Christmas time. We are calling on churches statewide to respond to this through Appalachian Christmas Outreach.
During the month of October, the Zion church family will have the opportunity to partner with the NC Baptists on Mission to collect Christmas back packs for children who live in the Appalachian coalfields and mountains of North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, and Pennsylvania. The church will provide new back packs, children’s Bibles and a printed booklet, “The Christmas Story” to be included.
Other items needed for each pack are:
- Small items of NEW warm clothing, such as winter hats, gloves, socks, underwear, scarves, etc.
- Small pop-top canned food such as ravioli, tuna, beef stew, vegetables, fruit (3-4 cans).
- At least on NEW, age appropriate non-breakable toy (no toy weapons, please!) This can include small cars, balls, dolls, small stuffed animals, yo-yos, jump ropes, sidewalk chalk, card games, Legos, etc. For the oldest age group (15-17) substitute an appropriate item instead of a toy, such as a flashlight, small thermos, light blanket, books, hunting and fishing magazines for boys, jewelry, books, skin care products, hair accessories, etc. for the girls.
- Hygiene items including toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, washcloth, brush or comb, shampoo, deodorant (please fit these items into a one-gallon Ziploc bag so they to not leak out into the rest of the backpack.)
- Fresh, wrapped candy (no chocolate please, as it may melt.)
Before selecting items, decide whether you will pack for a boy or a girl and which age group:
Ages 4-7; Ages 8-10; Ages 11-14; Ages 15-17
On Sunday, October 13th, back packs can be picked up to be filled. When all items are inside, bring it to your Sunday School class any Sunday morning during the month of October. The older children’s Sunday school class will come to classes and tag the bags appropriately. You may also bring your filled back pack to the front of the sanctuary (piano side) after worship to get tagged any Sunday in October.
We will have a church-wide prayer of dedication during worship on Sunday, October 27th or November 3rd. The bags will go to the Shelby Mission Camp to be distributed further.